The right time to start
The negotiations themselves usually can only start when you proceed to a coffee. Only in that moment you can take out papers, contract and laptop. And if the secretary is present to document the negotiations, only in this moment she is allowed to take out the papers/laptop too.
This can change from culture to culture and some nations prefer not to waste time and switch directly to business matters almost from the very beginning, but let us see this as an exclusion. So before you proceed to the coffee, you are basically doing a small talk and getting to know you partners.
The success of restaurant negotiations consists from three parts - small talk skills, knowing of table manners and negotiation skills.
- Do not order anything difficult to eat or anything that can distract you from conversation
- To call the waiter, make an eye contact with him and just bow
- Never hold the cutlery in hand while talking. Put it on plate
- Paying the bills is the inviting party
- You are giving the best seats to your guests